Sunday, June 12, 2011


Some say that Atlanta is “too big." "It is hard to find people to hang out with and the commute across town is atrocious. And did I mention the traffic?" Well, I have been here for almost a month now and I can honestly say that these “rumors” about Atlanta are false. Tonight we all met at JCT Kitchen for some live music and  sweet fellowship while overlooking the Atlanta skyline. Despite the heat, it was a great night. Very relaxing, new, and different. But I did discover that no matter where people live in Atlanta, no matter how far the drive, how terrible the traffic, or how much gas costs, if a location is decided upon, people will show up. Tonight we had two people who commuted all the way from Peachtree City, which is at least a 45-minute drive outside of the city. Then, we had a girl from Dekalb, who decided to bum off someone’s couch for the night. Other’s lived around Georgia Tech, Buckhead, Vinings, and Howell Mill. It was incredible to see how many awesome people congregated to hang out for the evening despite their home location.  I also love that no matter how many times we meet for dinner we can always try a new restaurant. The options are endless and every place provides a different experience. Different genres, different prices, different atmospheres. Growing up in a family who circled around a dinner table at a great restaurant in order to grow closer and enjoy one another, the Atlanta eating experience is right up my alley.

Then there is the Atlanta surroundings. Today I woke up in a lovely mansion located in Buckhead, filled with old oak trees, hydrangeas, and gated houses (I know...this is not real life!). Then, I headed over north of the city to float the Chattahoochie River, which was filled with lovely murky water that was somewhere around 50 degrees. After, I entered downtown where we ate a very modern urban pizza place and then headed west to enjoy the classy environment of JCT Kitchen. Atlanta has it all. If you want ritzy, it’s right here. Classy? Yep. Hipster? Absolutely. Country? Right down the road. I love a city where you can be surrounded by skyscrapers but then drive 15 minutes and be engulfed in beautiful country land.

Lastly, the people. Atlanta people are so incredibly nice and more than anything, generous. I live with a family who has opened up their home, for free, to let me live. I have an incredible pool in the backyard, a maid who cleans my room once a week, and I get the luxury of paying for not one penny all summer. All because a family felt the need to help out some new graduate who could not afford her own place. Then about ten minutes down the road another family with 5 children, two dogs, and a house on the market is currently housing three college students. My nannying job pays way more than I deserve and they let me eat their food, stay at their house, and enjoy their country club membership. Atlanta people are generous. Not to mention the people I have met are some of the nicest most welcoming people I have even encountered. They are constantly inviting and including me in their plans. They are open to all different types of people and they love others so well. Even at the bar on Friday night, a girl who had probably had one two many vodka tonics came up to me and asked if I needed friends since I was new in town. Of course I said yes, seeing as I could probably count the number of people I know in this city on one hand. She immediately told me to take out my phone so she could store her phone number and offered to hangout with me whenever I felt lonely. Even a drunk girl at a sktetchy bar was so incredibly sincere and compassionate. Atlanta is an awesome city, but the people are the reason I have grown to love it even more.

So far I have learned a lot. I have learned to ALWAYS trust my GPS. It usually knows more than me! I have learned the fun places to hang out, and that the weekends are a time to not be so stingy with my pay checks and just enjoy myself because that is the only time people don’t have to work. I have learned how to invite myself to places in order to make friends, and despite the awkwardness it actually has gotten me pretty far. But more than anything I have learned how to be content wherever God has me. I could sit around and wonder if this is really where God wants me to end up for the next little bit. I could bite my nails and wring my hands trying to figure out if there is actually a job waiting for me at the children’s hospital, but honestly that gets me no where. No matter where I go, where I end up, or where God decides to lead me, I have learned to be content and make the most out of every experience. 

New circumstances provide two options. You can either look at your situation negatively and count down the days until it ends, or you can trust the reasons why God has placed you where He has and enjoy it to its maximum potential. Life is full of disappointments and hard times, and no, college cannot be re-created, but this phase of life is fun. It is fun to experience a new place with new people and new adventures. I am excited to look back and see the places God decides to take me. 

Will I end up in Atlanta after this summer? Only God knows, but wherever He leads me, I will trust that He knows what He is doing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment